|A knight in a modern-day joust re-enactment.|
Just like your ancient civilisation from outside Ireland, in this chapter you will learn a lot of different things about life in the Middle Ages. The story starts with the Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169. The Normans are the people you will study, and they had taken over large parts of Ireland and Britain by the 1200s.
What does "medieval" mean?
Sometimes you might hear about the "medieval" times, or you might hear someone talking about "medieval castles" or something like that. Medieval just means "from the Middle Ages".
Continue to The Renaissance
Go back to First Year
- The Normans coming to Ireland.
- What evidence we have about them.
- The Feudal System.
- Medieval castles: motte and bailey, stone castles, attacking and defending.
- Medieval lords and ladies (People in History)
- Medieval knights (People in History)
- Medieval manors - farming, tower houses.
- Medieval cities and towns - merchants and craftsmen, markets and fairs, crime.
- Medieval Architecture (Gothic and Romanesque)
- Medieval monasteries - monks (People in History)
- The Black Death.
Click here for advice and tips on answering exam questions.
SHORT QUESTIONS (HL and OL)
1. Mention two consequences for Ireland of the coming of the Normans in the 12th century.
2. During the Middle Ages what was a knight? (2015 OL)
3. Name two stages of the training of the knight. (2011 HL)
4. What was the role of the guild in a medieval town? (2010 HL)
5. Name two defensive features of a Norman castle. (2009 HL)
6. Explain one of the following terms from the Middle Ages: (2008 HL)
Charter; Curfew; Pillory
7. Explain one way that soldiers might have tried to capture a castle during the Middle Ages.
8. State two dangers faced by people who lived in medieval towns. (2010 OL)
9. In a medieval monastery what was a cloister? (2015 HL)
10. Why were spices so important in the Middle Ages? (2015 OL)
LONG QUESTION (Q.6) (HL)
2012 HL, Q.6A
1. In the medieval monastery what was the role of the abbot? (2)
2. Explain two of the following terms related to the knight during the Middle Ages: (2x2)
Page; Dubbing; Chivalry; Jousting.
3. Give two reasons why the annual fair was popular during medieval times. (2x2)
4. Write an account of two of the following: (10x2)
(a) Duties of the lady of the castle.
(b) Training of the medieval craftsman.
(c) Life of a serf on a medieval manor.
PEOPLE IN HISTORY (HL and OL)
|A medieval feast at a castle.|
The lord or lady of a medieval castle.
(2010 HL, 2008 HL)
A serf on a medieval manor. (2015 HL, 2007 HL)
A knight in a medieval castle. (2014 OL, 2011 OL)
A monk in a medieval monastery. (2008 OL)
A craftsman in a medieval town.
The Middle Ages
This site gives you a long list of Middle Ages topics to learn more about, from the Bayeux Tapestry to mythical beasts.
BBC History: The Magna Carta
The BBC has everything you want to know about the Magna Carta, complete with facts, photos and a quiz.
The Jews in the Middle Ages
This site might help you with Religion as well as History. Learn about how the Jews lived during the Middle Ages, and what challenges they faced.
There's a lot of reading in this one, but it goes into great detail on what life was like for children and teenagers during the Middle Ages.
Build a Medieval Castle
Build your own medieval castle with styrofoam. There are also steps for making a castle out of wood, which you might be able to do in a Woodwork class some time. Be very careful following any of these steps, and make sure an adult is involved if you even try to make one from wood.
Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquets
Bunratty Castle in Co. Clare holds re-enactments of medieval banquets and feasts. Eat like a lord would!
The Black Death
Learn some more about the Black Death here.